Shopping in the Supermarket with Your Child
1. Baby, let’s go to the supermarket.
I. Baby Placement 安置你的寶寶
2. Let me slip you into the Moby Wrap / hip seat. Here we go. You are now comfortably snuggled in while I push the trolley (BE) / cart (AE) around.
3. Let me grab a shopping cart and put your car seat in it. Since we are not buying much today, we don’t have to worry about not having enough space in the cart.
4. Let me put you into the shopping cart seat. You are old enough now to try it. Hold on tight to the trolley so that you don’t fall out.
5. Don’t lick the cart. It’s dirty and uncivilized.
II. Shopping 找東西
6. Let mummy check our shopping list. We need to buy milk, yogurt, ice-cream, fruits, vegetables, juice, bread, meat, and paper towels. Such a long list!
7. Look, baby, the supermarket is divided into different sections. We can find milk and yogurt in the dairy section, ice-cream in the frozen foods section, fruits and vegetables in the produce section, juice in the beverages section, bread at the bakery, ready-to-eat meat in the deli section, and paper towels from the household items section.
注：deli，delicatessen [,delikə'tesən] 的簡稱，熟食店。
8. Let’s walk down this aisle [ail] and go to the produce section first. Oh, those oranges look fresh. Let’s get a plastic bag and put some in. Then, we need to have them weighed and labeled.
9. Here comes the dairy section. Can you see that milk and yogurt are kept in the freezer? That is because they can easily go bad at room temperature.
10. Let’s get a carton of half-skimmed milk. Let mummy check the expiry date first. This one is perfect. It was just produced yesterday and can be stored in the fridge for another week.
11. Can you find the plain yogurts? Oh, it seems to be out of stock. The remaining ones are flavored, which are usually too sweet. Let’s come back later to check if the plain yogurt gets restocked.
12. Let’s leave ice-cream to the end, in case it melts while we are shopping. Ice-cream doesn’t taste creamy once it has melted and been refrozen.
13. Look, baby, the juices are on sale. The brand we usually buy is 20% off. Another brand is offering “buy one get one free". How about we try something new this time?
14. Let’s get some ribs and minced pork from the fresh meat section. We'd better ask to have the ribs cut into smaller pieces / cuts. That way it will be easier for mummy to cook.
15. Wow, those paper towels are a real bargain. Let’s take a big 12 roll pack. Oh, you want those smaller rolls? Silly baby, those are toilet paper. Paper towels are thicker and stronger because it’s used around the kitchen. Toilet paper is softer and thinner and is used in the bathroom.
16. Oops, I almost forgot about your ice-cream. Let’s go find them in the frozen foods section. We have ice-cream bars, popsicles, ice-cream cones, and different flavored ice-cream in cartons.
III. Checking out 付錢
17. OK, we are ready to pay now. Let’s queue up (BE) / line up (AE) to pay at the cashier. Be patient. We are almost there.
18. Look, baby, the cashier is scanning the barcodes on the goods. The information goes into the computer and the amount of money we need to pay is calculated and shown on the screen.
19. Let me check if I have enough cash. Actually, maybe I’ll just pay by card. Let me input my PIN number and sign the receipt. Here we go.
20. We don’t have to buy any plastic bags since we brought our own shopping bags. Can you help mummy put the items into the bag? Good boy / girl. Let’s go back to our car and head home.